It’s honestly a little strange that I have to say this but…..curb appeal is your home’s first impression so don’t ignore it when it comes to selling your home! It has a huge impact on a potential buyer’s first impression and most buyers will form an attitude about a home within the first 15 seconds, good or bad. How your home looks (from the curb essentially) actually affects it’s market value, so a well maintained and thoughtfully designed property will be worth more than, well, one that isn’t.
Before you list your home, stand out on the street and view your home as a passerby.
- Can you see any damaged siding, shingles, or gutters?
- Is the house and its windows dirty?
- Is the driveway clean and free of large cracks?
- Is the paint peeling?
- How is the landscaping? Any dead or overgrown plants that need attention? Are there any bikes, tires, and lawn mowers laying around? What about excessive garden gnomes, pink flamingos, or weeds? Is there dog poop every 3 sq ft? Do you have 5 or 6 vehicles in various stages of repair in the front yard? Oh wait, sorry. That’s my house 🤣😂
Here’s what the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) 2018 Remodeling Impact Report has to say about the importance of curb appeal and how it can increase the value of your property:
- 100% of costs related to landscape maintenance and tree care are recovered at the time of sale.
- 99% percent of NAR members believe that curb appeal is important in attracting a buyer (79% say that it’s very important; 20% say that it’s somewhat important).
- 97% of NAR members believe that curb appeal is important to a potential buyer (66% say that it’s very important; 31% say that it’s somewhat important).
- 94% of realtors have suggested to sellers that they improve their curb appeal before listing their home on the market.
- Among homeowners who invest in curb appeal, 75% say they have a greater desire to be home since completing the project, 59% say they have an increased sense of enjoyment when they are at home, and 63% say they feel a major sense of accomplishment when they think of the project.
Check out 40 Before-and-After Curb Appeal Makeovers to see how HGTV’s all-star designers, architects, landscapers and contractors turn neighborhood eyesores into real showstoppers.
Ready to get to work? Here are 26 Easy Exterior Updates to Boost Curb Appeal on a Budget! Get ready to save money while you update your home’s outdoor appearance by putting your dollars to work on high-impact projects.